First Day...

You know when you travel, or are just headed to a new place, how you get a picture in your mind of what it should be like?  Often times this image is taken from photos from friends or from the internet, and of course those stereotypes that you hear about.  Often, you can be disappointed as the image does not match the lovely little picture in your head.  Well, that's just about the opposite of how I'm feeling right now! :)

Despite the fact that I researched the school, spent lots of time playing with maps including the Google street view, I am still in awe of just how precious, quaint and idyllic these little villages are.  I walked to town this morning, about half a mile away where I was able to pop in the bank, post office and corner grocery and walk past many a cute little shops and restaurants.  What a joy it is to be able to walk everywhere!

Fiona, a colleague of Kelly's, picked me up today and gave me a glorious tour of the surrounding areas.  I am so very sorry that a photograph just won't capture the feeling of these little villages!  (Although I promise I will get some of Woburn Sands soon!)  There are several very small villages in the area that all seem to run into one another.  There are beautiful old churches, pubs, brick homes leaning on one another and bright colored flowers overflowing from window boxes, just as you would imagine a little village would have.  I loved hearing Fiona say, "Oh, these places are really quite new, they're only around 100 years old."

We stopped in a pub for lunch where I thought I should be a bit healthy, after my fish and chips last night, so I ordered a goat cheese and rocket salad.  Much to my delight, the goat cheese was far larger than the "salad" portion of the meal!  I think I'm going to like this place! :)

Fiona and Harry (her black lab!) took me on a walk through the woods in the area.  Apparently, years ago people from London thought the pine trees were good for your health.  Although I have no doubt a good walk in the woods will make anyone feel better, besides getting away from smog, I'm not really sure that there is all that much that makes the woods a healthy place.  Now a duke owns much of the land and is considered one of the wealthiest people in the country, however, he seems to be a very generous duke, and shares his land, so there are footpaths all among the woods and fields - what a marvelous gift!


Harry was eager to chase squirrels and hide amongst the ferns that covered him when he ran amongst them.  And all of the sand throughout the woods gave a better understanding of Woburn "Sands."


When I was visiting universities in high school, trying to choose which one was the right one for me, we would always tour the grounds and learn more about the school from a current student.  My parents always seemed to be at the back of the group, admiring the trees, and I'm quite certain they were choosing my future school based on the trees.  No matter how much we try to deny it, we really are products of our parents, and today, I couldn't help marveling at the trees...


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Second Day of School

Good-byes

A Letter to My Family and Friends