Half Term

This morning, I had the opportunity to go and hear a speaker at a local secondary school.  He had some fabulous ideas about differentiating lessons and great ways to get all kids engaged in the lesson from the get-go.  There were great ideas that I hope to be able to use here and when I return home.

Today was also the end of my first half-term.  The school year here is divided into three terms; in the middle of each term there is a one week holiday and at the end a two week holiday.  I really think I am going to love this schedule of working for six or seven weeks and then getting a week off, although I do hope that my brain will still work in the summer term!  There was a movement a while back in Alabama pushing for a schedule more like this, but I believe they failed in naming it "year-round school" rather than "frequent holiday school."

To celebrate the ending of a great first half-term, a few of us went to the local pub for a drink, and yes, many of the drinks were actually hot chocolate that we sipped near the cozy fire!  It was a great way to end the first half-term.  I'm excited for a week of more traveling adventures, but I'm also looking forward to starting back, feeling better about the curriculum and classroom routines.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Second Day of School

Good-byes

A Letter to My Family and Friends