Bath

The Romans, and many groups of people after them, believed that the hot springs in this area had healing powers. I haven't even touched the hot springs yet, but I can honestly say I agree that this place has healing powers. I'm quickly falling in love with the narrow streets, ancient buildings, gentle-flowing river, street markets, friendly people all wrapped up in a city the size of such that after just a few hours I already feel like I know my way around.

This morning we took advantage of a free walking tour which took us to some of the major attractions and taught us a bit more about this ancient city. While we definitely felt and looked like tourists walking along the narrow lanes in a giant group, it was an enjoyable way to speak with fellow travelers and learn more!

Along the way, I actually ran into someone I knew! Yes, me, a foreigner in a foreign land visiting a different city ran into one of her current co-workers. It is truly a small world! What fun! The summer that I was living in Florence, Italy, I was walking along one of the main streets and literally ran into two people I had gone to high school with. When my parents and I were in Rome one time, walking through the curtains into the quiet prayer area, dad literally bumped into a customer and friend of his. In a world with over six billion people, it is amazing how small it can sometimes feel!

One of my favorite things to do when traveling, especially in Europe where the opportunity frequently presents itself, is climbing the tallest tower to get a bird's eye view. Today, we did just that by climbing the 200+ steps to the top of the Bath Abbey Tower. Not only did we get a spectacular view of this beautiful city, but also we were able to sit behind the clock and JJ even got to ring the largest bell in the tower!

After lunch in a tea room, we jumped on a riverboat cruise on the Avon River. However, this is not the same Avon that runs through Shakespeare's home as apparently avon was the Celtic word for river and so there are several avons throughout the country.

A full and enjoyable day in Bath needed to be completed in the same fashion-so we treated ourselves to a full, delightful Latin meal complete with guacamole, pink-colored fizzy drinks, miniature tacos and lush desserts!

As you can only imagine, I've just about filled my camera with photographs, but as I don't have a way yet of posting them, a photo from my phone of my lush caramel dessert will have to do for tonight!:)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Second Day of School

Good-byes

A Letter to My Family and Friends