Wow!

Today I was "wowed" at each and every of our stops!

JJ and I started the morning with a quick tour around Gosport, where she is currently living and then started off on our journey towards Bath. The drive is really not all too far, but we took several well-worth it stops and so the enjoyable journey took us nearly the entire day!

Our first stop was Salisbury Cathedral, a cathedral grander than many I have seen-and I've been blessed in my life to see many. The cathedral could easily rival Notre Dame and yet, many have never heard of it. Most of the cathedral was built in the 13th century, a feat that in itself is impressive. The enormity of it, mixed with all of the intricate details was enthralling. Just as I'm sure was intended, I felt small in comparison.

Our next stop was a stop I've had on "my list" for most of my life-Stonehenge! Wow! I had heard that it was basically a pile of rocks in a field. And yes, that is true, but there is something mystical about it. I was thankful for the audio guide where I learned more about the myths, legends and ideas of the hows and whys of Stonehenge. I always thought the stone circle sounded mysterious, but after seeing it today and learning more about it, I realize it is downright magical!

The stone circle, over 5,000 years old, is made of GIANT rocks moved there from over 200 miles away. Like the iceberg that brought down the Titanic, a great deal of these huge rocks are actually buried under ground. And if that is not enough, the rocks are centered such that you can read the calendar based on the way the sun rises and sets amongst the rocks. I was in absolutely no way disappointed by Stonehenge!

Then, we made it just in time to visit Lacock Abbey which was also built hundreds of years ago-once used as a home for nuns, but after Henry VIII decided to create his own church, he sold the abbey as a private residence. The abbey holds another strong attraction for all of those interested in the school of witchcraft and wizardry.. Scenes from the first two Harry Potter films were filmed in the abbey!

As darkness crept in around us we quickly popped into Lacock Village which was where Elizabeth Bennett and her sisters could be seen walking through "town" in the BBC version of Pride and Prejudice.

It was certainly a wow-ful day!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Second Day of School

Good-byes

A Letter to My Family and Friends