Super Learning Day

Once a term (3 times a year), Fulbrook let's go of regular academic lessons and participates in a Super Learning Day.  Each year level does something a little different, and the children are definitely learning throughout the day, but they aren't necessarily academic lessons, rather big investigations or life lessons.

The year 5 team decided that we would each teach one of our own skills or talents and rotate our classes around.  The other teachers taught great talents such as origami, tangrams and even card games. When discussing what talents we would share, it didn't take me long to think of mine.  Line dancing.

Yes, perhaps it sounds like a silly talent, but if you know me well, or have ever been with me at a wedding, you know that I love my line dances: everything from the Electric Slide to the Cupid Shuffle to the Cotton Eyed Joe and many in between.  I think I learned my first line dances from Coach Lavercombe while I was at Highlands, my elementary school, and well, I've been in love ever since.  It's something that everyone can join in on and there's no need to worry with things like even numbers!

Doing the Cotton-Eyed Joe at Mack and Stephanie's wedding

I learned the Cotton Eyed Joe nearly 20 years ago from Stephanie, a dear friend from Highlands.  And to make the story even better and more stereotypical, she taught me this country line dance in the upstairs of our barn back home in Alabama.  (I'm sorry to say that we were not wearing cowboy boots nor were we chewing on hay, but I agree that both of those details would have made the story better.)

Today, I shared my "talent" with nearly 60 nine and ten year olds, and I must say, they did rather well! I had a blast, and although the other teachers said I looked "disheveled" this afternoon (I did the Cotton-Eyed Joe A LOT and I couldn't figure out how to turn the radiator down!), I had a blast and hope to be able to share even more dances with the kids as the year goes on!

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Second Day of School

Good-byes

A Letter to My Family and Friends