A Fabulously British Day

Today was the first day on a week long adventure driving through the southern part of England.

I started off at Windsor Castle, where I believe the queen was in residence, but sadly I did not bump into her! The castle, of course is incredible, ornate and more like a fortified village. My favorite part was definitely the doll house which was fully functioning-including the plumbing! Great artists were even commissioned to make miniature paintings to hang in the four storied miniature palace. I must admit that the little girl in me (who in fact is not all too far below the surface) wished the thick glass panels could be taken away so that I could get in and truly explore each nook and cranny, finding the uniqueness in all of those itty bitty items.

I also enjoyed doing a bit of shopping and sat at a little cafe enjoying a hot chocolate and scone. Windsor is a lovely town and I could have spent a lot more time there, but there were more places to discover.

I drove down country roads where the turned leaves made near canopies over the road. The colors are beautiful and I can only assume that they are much more like New England colors simply because the woods are not crowded with pines.

After driving quite a long way off of the main road, I came into a quaint village with thatched roofs and moss growing on the rock fences. It was absolutely beautiful and made perfect sense that this would be where Jane Austen spent about a quarter of her short life.

There's a certain magic that seems to surround Jane Austen, and I definitely felt some of that magic today! I toured the home where she, her mother, sister and a family friend lived. I saw the very desk where she wrote and revised some of the most beloved tales of all time!

It was a fantastic day and I'm eager for tomorrow's adventures!

Comments

  1. I loved Windsor castle (the Queen wasn't in residence when I visited) and I really like that hat you're wearing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved your post, Rebecca! But, honey, I think you may want to fix this typo: "sadly I did not pump into her". :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whoops! Combination of late night, typing on my phone and my bad spellings anyway! Thanks!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Second Day of School

Good-byes

A Letter to My Family and Friends