Groundhog Day

Yesterday, I explained the the concept of Groundhog Day to my colleagues and students.  You won't believe this, but they had a hard time grasping the concept of a rodent predicting the future.  I know, it's totally unreal that they didn't understand!  They especially didn't understand that now-a-days the groundhog comes out and speaks to some guys and tells them what the weather it will be in early spring or not.

I'm not sure why, but I've always loved Groundhog Day.  It is such a fun holiday: a fun tradition that so many of us buy into.  I had fun sharing it with others, but they were truly baffled and had a hard time understanding that it was just for fun.  I can certainly understand, as it is a bit ridiculous, but it is also so much fun!  I saw that today, Punxsutawney did not see his shadow, so he is forecasting an early spring.  I hope that is true, but as for me, there were lots of shadows today.

But what causes shadows?  That's right, SUNSHINE!  I woke up to a bright, sunny morning and decided to take a mini-road trip in a direction I had not yet ventured: east.  Wearing my sunglasses, I hit the road with my new iPod hook-up for the car.  I sang at the top of my lungs and enjoyed as the sun warmed my face through the glass, despite the chilly weather.

My first destination was Wicken Fen, about an hour and a half east of here in Cambridgeshire.  The Fen is one of the largest wet lands in the country, and a very popular destination for bird watchers.  While I enjoy birds, I was there to see the scenery and the mammals.  I saw a muntjac deer along the way, Highland cows, and even some ponies (at a distance)!  The ladies at the visitor centre were nice enough, not only to recommend some good paths, but also let me borrow some wellies so that I could travel on the paths that were quite muddy.  Despite the sunshine, it has been the wettest year in record and many of the paths were still very muddy.





I guess when you don't have fingers...



Next, I went to Anglesey Abbey, a huge estate that is known for it's winter gardens as much as for its summer gardens.  The estate was covered with snowdrops, bursting up in nooks and crannies throughout the wood.  Lenten roses and bursts of colors were also scattered along the forest paths.  Plants I had never seen before showed all sorts of colors, from yellow to red to lime green to pink and purple.  It was so much fun to see so many bursts of colors and so many signs of spring on its way; I even got to see my very first daffodils of the year!








I decided I had a little bit more time, so I headed off to Wimpole Estate, a huge estate with a working farm.  The gardens there were in remission, preparing for spring, but not yet bursting with color.  There were signs of bulbs coming up everywhere, so since it is was only about an hour away, I'll have to make a trip back there in the spring, especially to visit the farm!  I joined all of the little kids in the farm area and thoroughly enjoyed seeing cows, pigs, horses, chickens, ducks, geese, goats, sheep and rabbits.  There were young, pink piglets, soft calves, sheep with fun "dos," a rabbit who wanted a chin scratch and a cow who really enjoyed getting his nose rubbed.  I'm hoping to return at a time when I can perhaps see some lambs!


I walked in and thought the hay was moving!




I caught this little guy eating hay from the pen next door - does he look guilty or what?



I was home in time this evening to FaceTime with my cousin and watch as Mils turned one!  I cannot believe it has been a year since I sat outside the delivery room door waiting to hear his first cries!  It was so wonderful to watch as he carefully peeled the icing off of his cake, making his entire mouth blue.  I was thankful to be part of the celebration, even from thousands of miles away.  He's just another reason for me to love Groundhog Day!

I'm not sure if a UK groundhog would have had the same prediction as Phil, but as for me, I saw lots of signs of spring today!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Second Day of School

Good-byes

A Letter to My Family and Friends