Northern Ireland

Yesterday, Kelly's parents drove me up the coast of Northern Ireland.  I knew that we were headed to the Giant's Causeway, something I was eager to see, and when I looked up on a map to see exactly where it was, I discovered something else exciting.  My grandfather worked for about a year on a factory in Northern Ireland and so, when my dad was about four years old, he lived in a little place called Coleraine with my grandparents.  When I noticed that Coleraine was very close to where we were headed, I asked if we could make a little stop there.  May and Des, being the wonderful tour guides that they were, gave me a great tour of Coleraine.  I really don't know much about my dad's time there, nor does he, but it was so much fun walking the streets, imagining what it might have been like 50 years ago and knowing that my grandparents and father had walked these very streets!  It was a real treasure for me!
The diamond (aka square) at Coleraine

Church in Coleraine
Then, it was on to see the glorious coastline of Northern Ireland.  We stopped in several places along the way to catch a glimpse of the view, the sunshine and the rocky cliffs.  I was so very thankful for a sunny day as the green grass shines brighter with the sunshine on it and the bright blue skies in the background.

I absolutely love a good story, and the Giant's Causeway is a wonderful story that gives an explanation for the unique rock formation.  Thousands of years ago, a volcanic eruption caused hexagonal columns of rocks to rise from the water.  The rocks are so perfectly shaped, it is hard to imagine that they are in fact created by the earth.  So why not make the story of these rocks into a great myth?



One of the reasons that the myth sort of makes sense is that there is a similar formation across the sea to the northern part of Scotland.  So, perhaps it was in fact a meeting between the giants.  Another part of the story goes on to say that Finn's wife fed a steak to the "baby" and a rock painted as a steak to the giant from across the sea and when the giant noticed how easily the baby ate what he had such trouble eating, he ran home pulling up the rocks as he went.

Herman didn't find the giants all too intimidating. 




That's me sitting on the boot!

My wonderful tour guides!
The rocks were fun to climb on, and many people took full advantage of the rocks on a sunny day, exploring and picnicking.

While the sunlight continued, we continued our drive.  We stopped in Ballycastle for some delicious ice cream, then continued stopping at beautiful beaches and cliffs with breathtaking views.  On such a beautiful February day, we spotted daffodils beginning to bloom and baby lambs chasing after their mothers.  It was a glorious day and a wonderful weekend in Northern Ireland!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Second Day of School

Good-byes

A Letter to My Family and Friends