Quarters

Today's task in maths was to get kids counting by 25s and adding multiples of 25, such as 250 + 125. At home, counting by 25s is something the kids do without too much thought-why? Well because we have a 25 cent coin! So, how best to teach it here? Pass out American quarters of course! I couldn't resist sharing with the kids a little information about the coins too. We examined the coins carefully to find out when and where they were made. Many of the coins had states on them, so I got to teach a mini history lesson as well. I was especially pleased that a kid ended up with a Delaware quarter so we could look at the quarter of the very first state.

The kids did really well in the lesson and enjoyed playing with money, and I was pleased to share a little bit of home.

I must admit that I'm especially proud of the Alabama quarter. In a state that is known best for football, racial tensions, involvement in the Civil War, rednecks and fried foods, Helen Keller was chosen to represent our state. A woman who overcame adversity, who triumphed over the impossible and realized the power of education represents our state. I'm proud to be from that state!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Second Day of School

Good-byes

A Letter to My Family and Friends