Quarters

Today's task in maths was to get kids counting by 25s and adding multiples of 25, such as 250 + 125. At home, counting by 25s is something the kids do without too much thought-why? Well because we have a 25 cent coin! So, how best to teach it here? Pass out American quarters of course! I couldn't resist sharing with the kids a little information about the coins too. We examined the coins carefully to find out when and where they were made. Many of the coins had states on them, so I got to teach a mini history lesson as well. I was especially pleased that a kid ended up with a Delaware quarter so we could look at the quarter of the very first state.

The kids did really well in the lesson and enjoyed playing with money, and I was pleased to share a little bit of home.

I must admit that I'm especially proud of the Alabama quarter. In a state that is known best for football, racial tensions, involvement in the Civil War, rednecks and fried foods, Helen Keller was chosen to represent our state. A woman who overcame adversity, who triumphed over the impossible and realized the power of education represents our state. I'm proud to be from that state!

Comments