A Letter to My Family and Friends

Dear Family and Friends,

A couple of years ago, I got an urge to teach abroad.  It wasn't all of a sudden, but it felt like something I needed to do.  I was in my twenties and I felt completely settled in my life and for some reason, that scared me.  Was I where I was supposed to be?  Was I doing what I was meant to be doing?  Was I as happy as I could be, or did I just think life was good?  I felt that if I went out to explore a bit, I could find the answer to all of these questions.  I never had a desire to move overseas permanently, but I sort of wanted the reassurance that I was doing the right thing.

A year ago, in meeting rooms in Denver and Washington, D.C., I sat side by side with my fellow Fulbrighters listening to the advice of alums of the program and experts in the field.  They spent a whole lot of time telling me about this "W" of emotions that I'd go through this year.  I knew that when I went abroad, I would certainly experience ups and downs, but they kept talking about having these same emotions upon reentry.  I sat there truly thinking to myself how ecstatic I would be to be home and how there was no way that I would fall below the upper end of the "W."

A month or so ago, I was on a train down to London for the weekend when I got choked up.  It was the first time that the thought of leaving England had truly made me sad.  "Popping to London" for a weekend would no longer be a possibility, driving a short distance to see historical sites of great majesty, having afternoon tea, and spending time with my new found friends would all be coming to an end soon.  To keep from embarrassing myself on the train, I did refrain from blubbering, but it was the first time the thought of leaving had made me really feel that way.

While in Belfast a couple weeks ago, with my fellow Fulbrighters, we talked a lot about our upcoming reentry.  The more we talked, the more I realized just how anxious I am about coming home.  Each of you have continued to live your life this year, just as I have, but we have lived them separately.  Can I easily just blend back in?  How much will you have changed?  How much have I really changed?  Will all of my little cousins, whom I treasure so much, remember me?  I have no doubt we will all get back into our grooves, but I also realize that it may take some time.

I worry that sometimes, after having such a truly amazing year with so many opportunities and travel experiences, will I sometimes feel let down by the normalcy of my wonderful life?  Will I say "when I was in England" so much that you all will start tuning me out?

All of that being said, please know that one of the most important things I got out of this year was reassurance.  I have been planted where I am meant to be.  I absolutely love my job at Shades Cahaba where I am surrounded by truly amazing teachers, encouraging administrators, precious children, a supportive community and some of the best friends I could ever ask for.  Birmingham is truly a great place to live with great opportunities, sunshine, delightful restaurants, lovely green space, unique entertainment and welcoming people.  But none of those are the true reason I am happy back in Alabama.  It is each of you.  You fill my life with joy - the love and warmth I feel from each of you is what brings me happiness each and every day.  You are the reason that leaving was so very difficult and that returning will be so wonderful.  Just as Kelly's friends have welcomed me and made me feel so at home here, you have helped Kelly to feel at home and I will forever be grateful for how you have welcomed her.

It is not that I want to stay here in England, it is just that I have now built a life here.  I now have two homes and it will be incredibly difficult for me to leave this one behind.  The friends I have made here this year have been the reason I've been so happy.  I know that we will keep in touch, as you, too, have become a truly important part of my life, but I realize things will never be the same.

And my fellow Fulbrighters, I'm not sure what I would have done without you this year.  I'm eternally grateful for your laughter, your support, your sense of humor and your eagerness to travel.  I feel so blessed to have had the opportunity to get to know each of you and share in this year-long adventure as we tried to navigate a new culture and a new education system.  I am sorry that our homes are not closer to one another, but I'm thrilled to have so many places around the US to come and visit!

While separating from my new found friends is difficult, saying goodbye to this year is also more difficult than I ever imagined.  What an amazing year!  I moved to a different country, virtually on my own, and thrived.  I've learned to drive on the other side of the road; I've learned to teach a new curriculum; I've learned to speak a new language; I've traveled to main-land Europe for the weekend multiple times; I've seen legendary sights that we read and hear about; and I've met some of the most thoughtful people I could hope to find.  My adventures are far from over, but this huge adventure is drawing to a close.

In one month from today, at about this time, I will be landing at the Atlanta airport running eagerly into the arms of the two most important people in my life.  I could not have done this without my parents support!  I am so thankful for modern technology which has made communication easy, but I am eager for their touch, just to be near them again.

Have I changed this year?  Without a doubt!  I have more confidence in myself; sometimes I eat bagels for breakfast; I now love cider; I drink hot tea; I use words like "lovely," "brilliant," "posh," and "fab;" and I've learned I can do absolutely anything I set my mind to.

I cannot thank you all enough for your love and support throughout this year, no matter which side of the ocean you are on.  I humbly ask for your continued support and patience as I find my way back into the life I feel truly blessed to have.

Love to all of you,
Rebecca

Comments

  1. Yeah, I'm crying! I cannot wait for you to be home!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such sweet memories...:)
    Check your snail mail soon...sent you a package today...better late than never, huh? LOL! Forgive me!
    Love you and can't wait to have you home!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Second Day of School

Good-byes