Romeo and Juliet

Today, and again this evening, I had the absolute pleasure of watching the Year 8s in their year-end production.  They have been working tirelessly for the last few months preparing for this performance and it was absolutely amazing!  The classic story, which I've seen multiple times, was performed unlike any other performance I've ever seen.  In fact, I don't remember ever enjoying myself quite so much at a Shakespeare production.


The play started with some ladies at a hair salon talking about the latest gossip magazine and what was going on in Verona.  Then Lady Capulet and Lady Montague went at each other, something that continuously happened throughout the night.  The Prince made his grand appearance in tap shoes so everyone could hear him walk down the aisle.  He looked fabulous, and knowing that the lacy tie he was wearing was actually a large pair of bloomers tied up together made it even more humorous.  Romeo was played by an adorable boy, one of the quiet, sweet kids at school, but when he broke out in a well-correographed solo pop dance, we were all quite impressed!


The story line was supported by the "Lovely Ladies" who would contribute one or two lines of a song such as "So Long, Farewell" and "Take My Breathe Away" when our star-crossed lovers ended their lives.  The songs used throughout the play were brilliant - adding to the enjoyment of the performance and giving us all a great laugh.  Songs such as "Just Haven't Met You Yet," "YMCA," "Forget You," "To Make You Feel My Love," "Marry You," and "I Will Survive," were just a few of the songs that kept us tapping our feet.  And watching the talented Lady Capulet and Lady Montague sing "Anything You Can Do, I Can Do Better" left us all in stitches!

The Balcony
I was so very proud of the pupils and I loved seeing their personalities come out in true fashion!  How much fun!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Second Day of School

Good-byes

A Letter to My Family and Friends