Spin Factor

I have a confession to make.  Although I am an adult (I believe), I still, when trying on dresses or skirts, find the "spin factor" very important.  When I was in middle school, I remember having this teal/green skirt with little flowers all over it.  It had an elastic waist and an incredible spin factor.  I remember wearing it on my 12th birthday which was at The City Club in Pell City where they had a DJ and a dance floor.  That was pretty much pure heaven for me: friends, dance floor, DJ and an outfit with excellent spin factor.  Seventeen (nearly eighteen) years later, not much has changed.

Sunday, while we were doing some shopping on Portobello Road in Notting Hill, Stephanie and I popped into a little shop just a few doors down from the store where Hugh Grant sold travel books.  I saw a skirt that I just had to try on.  It reminded of me of that skirt from many years ago - some bright colored flowers, elastic waste, and yes, great spin factor.  When I tried it on in the dressing room, I was fairly certain it would spin well, but unfortunately, the metal detector tag kept hitting the wall and it was difficult to tell for sure.


I was a bit nervous about wearing the skirt to school, not because it is short, but because the wind that whips by my classroom door as I press in the code to open the door can be dangerous.  So much so that I have often regretting wearing some of my favorite flowy dresses from home.  It was miraculous though!  Although the same winds blew, my skirt never once acted as though it would fly up revealing more than my starch-white legs.  What a joy!

When I got home this evening, the joys of the skirt continued.  As I was dancing, I mean tidying up, to the tune of "Uptight," I gave the skirt a real test and well, it passed the spin factor test with flying colors.

In case you haven't yet learned this about me... it is the little things that make me immensely happy, like the spin factor of a new skirt.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Second Day of School

Good-byes

A Letter to My Family and Friends