Raspberries

Growing up, I was quite the picky eater.  I also did not love some of the finer healthier foods that I now appreciate.  For some reason, I had never really tried raspberries, they were not something we ever really had in the house.

My senior year at Auburn, I went to New Zealand to do my student teaching.  It was an amazing experience teaching and living in such a beautiful country.  I was placed at a little bitty school where I had the opportunity to live with two of the families from the school.  The Sopers lived out a little ways where they had a some land and some sheep.  Their neighbors had a berry farm.  It was a treat getting to walk through the farm and pick fresh berries off of the vine.  It was then that I fell in love with raspberries.  Now, they are a treat for me, a special indulgence I allow myself to pack in my lunch every now and then during the summer.

This week, as I ate my raspberries, as I always do, I was thought of my lovely kiwi family.  When I arrive home, three weeks from today, not only do I get to see my parents whom I've been away from this year, but I will get to see the family I've been away from for seven years!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Second Day of School

Good-byes

A Letter to My Family and Friends