Election Day

I have never been more anxious about an election.  I've never been more anxious about who our next president will be, and I will go to bed tonight not yet knowing who it will be.  I truly think that both candidates have the best of intentions and want to do what is best for the American public.  I do have strong opinions about who the president should be, but no matter who is chosen, I will support our president and give him the respect that is deserved.

I'm a planner, so much of one that sometimes, I get just as much of a thrill of checking things off a list as I do of actually doing them.  Yes, I realize this makes me a little pathetic, but you saw the photos of me playing dress up in the Jane Austen Museum, right?  So there is no more shame here.  I had planned out some great lessons for the day and I was really excited to get started with a fresh new take on things after half-term.  But then, in the shower this morning, where all ideas of any in value are concocted, I realized I had a much bigger task at hand today.

I have been given the incredible opportunity of representing my country as part of the Fulbright Teacher Exchange.  This exchange is not just about me getting to travel (although I am taking full advantage of that perk!), it is about a cultural exchange and the sharing of ideas between countries.  I am meant not only to bring in some different ideas on education while soaking up lots as well, but also to share about my country and my culture.  Today is ELECTION DAY, how dare I go on with teaching the kids about different genres when it is one of the most important days to be an American citizen?  Genres and the effects of smoking on your body can wait a day.

I started by making sure the pupils knew who the candidates were and what the parties were.  It is amazing how much the election has been covered here and how much the kids knew.  It is very clear whom most people here support, which amazes me.  I've realized my ignorance even more as I rarely know an election is occurring in another country, and if I do, I very rarely know the candidates by name, much less have an opinion about the matter.

Then, it was time to teach the children about the electoral college...  a daunting task to teach anyone, much less middle schoolers in a foreign land.  As any great teacher might do, I turned to the internet to find someone who could do it better than I.  I quickly found one of the best illustrations and explanations of the electoral college that I have ever seen.  You may not want to watch the whole clip, but make sure you watch and see the mock election in the classroom.



Today was one of those days wonderful days where I had the opportunity to share with my pupils, and colleagues about the United States.  Colleagues were eager to see me today and speak to me about the election and if I voted.  Everyone knew what a big day it was, and I could even sense excitement amongst my fellow teachers.  I know that America is no where near perfect, but I love my home country and am very proud to say I'm an American.  And I'm proud to say that even though I'm miles from home, I voted.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Senegal

007

Good-byes