Thanksgiving Wednesday

Today, I had the opportunity to share with the kids about a very special and unique American holiday.  Thanksgiving, I've realized over the last few weeks, is something truly special, a beautiful holiday set aside to be with family and friends as we are reminded of all of the many blessings in our lives.  We have set aside a national holiday to give thanks.  How beautiful!

I was thrilled that during a busy week at school, we were able to hold an assembly for all of year 5 and 6 (about 225 kids) so that I could share with the kids all about Thanksgiving.  I first started off by telling the kids that part of the reason for this exchange was not only to learn about our differences in education, but also as an opportunity for me to share some about my home country.

I told them about the pilgrims, those brave, courageous people who left the home they knew here in England to travel to an unknown land.  I talked about how the pilgrims arrived in late fall and how dreadful the winter had been for them.  I talked about how the spring brought new hope as they began farming and growing their own crops.  I told them about how the Native Americans had helped the pilgrims to grow "the three sisters" of squash, beans and corn.  Then, I told of how they came together in the fall to celebrate a successful harvest with several days worth of feasting and celebrating.

I wanted to make sure the kids knew about what modern day Thanksgiving was like in America, so I told them about our typical Thanksgiving feasts, the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade, football, the presidential pardoning turkeys, how people give back to those less fortunate, and how the day is set aside as a day to be with our loved ones and give thanks.

I asked the children to share some of those things that they are thankful for.  They, of course, had wonderful things that they were thankful for such as: family, education, a full tummy, their own room, a warm bed, and a roof over their head.  We all need the time to sit back and count our blessings, remembering the many, many things we have to be thankful for.  I'm thankful that we as Americans set aside a day to do this.

Tonight, my mom's side of the family is gathering at my aunt's house as we do every year on Thanksgiving Eve.  I am so sorry that I am not there with my family and loved ones, in and amongst the chaos of nine little five-year-olds and under, but I couldn't be more thankful for this opportunity and for the opportunity to share one of those things that makes America truly special.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Senegal

007

Good-byes