Tis the season... to bake!

Even being thousands of miles from the food celebrations that will happen this week, I somehow got the "it's time to cook" bug this Thanksgiving week!  This past weekend I made about 4 recipes worth of sausage and cheese balls (which have been a huge hit here!) to put in the freezer for upcoming celebrations and to share with others.  I'm also baking some more cookies to share on Thanksgiving day, so I made the dough for that tonight to start the process.  And last, but certainly not least, I made my grandmother's sausage biscuits.

They are nothing all too complicated, these pinwheel biscuits, but oh they are delicious.  I know they are tasty, but I also know that one of the main reasons I love them so much is because I always think of her when I make them.  I was only nine when she passed away, and so unfortunately many of the memories I have of her have faded.  I don't think the smell of those homemade biscuits wafting up the stairs is something I could really ever forget, nor could I forget how happy seeing them on the breakfast table next to my grandfather's famous apple sauce made me feel.  My grandfather added a secret ingredient of red hots to his apple sauce which turned it red.  For years, I believed it was because he used red apples (even though, yes, I know, the inside is not red!).  To this day, I can't bring myself to eat other apple sauce because I still believe apple sauce should be red rather than beige!

For me, Thanksgiving isn't really about the food, although, don't get me wrong, I do love the food, it's about being with family.  Tonight, while making sausage biscuits, I felt like I got to spend a little bit of time with my grandmother.  It's just one more thing to give thanks for!

Comments

  1. Oooh, I do love your sausage biscuits.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess I should share! :) They really are easy, except for rolling out the dough as it always seems to want to stay in a tight ball! Follow the Bisquik recipe for making biscuits (aka add milk to Bisquik!), roll it out very thin and then spread sausage (like Jimmy Dean) out covering the biscuit. I usually mix a hot and a mild sausage. Then, roll up the biscuit and sausage so it makes a pinwheel. I always put it directly in the freezer and pull it out for special occasions! Then, slice thin and bake at about 350 until golden brown (I think about 30 minutes). I believe 2 pounds of sausage usually equals about 3 of the biscuit recipe, but as mine never turns out the exact amount,

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Senegal

007

Good-byes