Rugby Sevens

A few weeks ago, Stephanie and I bought tickets to an event that we knew very little about. We knew it involved rugby and that it was in London, but we knew very little else. I was quite keen though, knowing how much I loved rugby when I was in New Zealand and wanting to see a sporting event while I was here. 

We found out that the event was a fancy dress event with a safari theme, which means that people were all decked out in costumes. I saw a few people all dressed up leaving Milton Keynes this morning and throughout the stops along the tube on my way to meet Stephanie. We had little tiger ears, but we were very underdressed compared to most of the crowd. I've never seen so many adults dressed up! There were flamingos, tigers, herds of lions, penguins, frogs, super Mario characters, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, bananas, snails, nerds and everything in between! Taking the crowded train out to the stadium was quite entertaining.

Rugby 7s is a fast paced game of rugby where teams of seven people play seven minute halves. We watched teams from all over the world compete, even our dear USA and my beloved New Zealand! I was thrilled to hear the crowds erupting in cheers of U-S-A, even though it may just be because it is fun and easy to say! In between games, there was entertainment like people from the crowds picked to play imaginary bongo drums, people playing hungry hippos and fun songs, such as the YMCA and the Macarena that brought thousands of people to their feet, plus whole crowds of people singing Call Me Maybe! I was in heaven!

We spent several hours at the stadium enjoying people-watching as much as the games before returning to south London where we enjoyed some real Mexican food - a real treat!

Just one more wonderful adventure here in this glorious country!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Another Adventure!

Round Abouts, One Lane Roads, and Clutches - Oh My!

Tis the season... to bake!