Eggshells

Today, I came home after a lovely day of working in my room at school and meeting new people to find an eggshell on my balcony.


At first, I was very worried.  I know that sometimes mother birds will push rotten eggs out of the nest, and as I could see no difference in the nest, I was worried something had happened.  But then, with extra careful watching (and listening!), I began to see a small yellow blob moving below Mama Dove!  Look VERY closely at his photo:  Can you see the yellow?  Can you see the little beak peaking out?



I heard just the gentlest chirpings coming from underneath Mama Dove, but she quickly quieted the little one, how, I'm not sure.  I hope that she will become somewhat accustomed to me, although I appreciate her amazing parenting skills and protective nature.  I know she won't let me get really close, but I'd love for her to feel comfortable enough to continue whatever she's doing and let me watch.  I fed her some bread today, which after I closed the door, she seemed to enjoy, so maybe we'll develop a trust.

At home, at my parents' house, we are always enthralled watching as the swallows raise their young, but as their nests are above our heads, seeing these precious first few days is almost impossible.  I'm so excited to have such close up views of these devoted parents watching as they train their young, and then teach them to fly!

Later on, Papa Dove (I assume, of course I really can't tell who's who!) came up to switch places with Mama Dove.  They are amazing - swapping places so gently and yet so swiftly so that the baby, and the egg that remains are hardly ever exposed.  Thankfully, I moved quickly before Papa Dove got settled and could catch a better glance of this baby, just hours old!



Seeing an eggshell this afternoon was so upsetting to me, but what a joy it turned out to be!  Here's hoping I find another eggshell in the morning!

Comments

  1. charming .... so glad you are having a blessed adventure!
    steph

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are a great blogger! I love how you find joy in things both great and small. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Second Day of School

Good-byes

A Letter to My Family and Friends