Yarn Club

Today was a really good day! My lessons went well, the kids were engaged, we had fun together, and we even did the hokey pokey!

I'll be very honest that the days are not always great, it's amazing how difficult it can be sometimes. In all honesty it's not the school, the curriculum, the standards or the kids, it is me. I'm a brand new teacher again after feeling like I was beginning to be an expert. I don't know the best ways to do classroom routines, I don't know the best way to present this new curriculum, I don't know what sorts of prior knowledge the kids should have, and I don't know all the little ins and outs of the school. Everyone has been incredibly helpful, it is not that at all. It's things I'll have to figure out on my own in my own time. The days are full of ups and downs, but today, almost all of it was a really good day! I have no doubt that soon, they'll all be good days, but there are still some things I'm learning and working out on my own. We all know you only get better when you are challenged, and I did this swap to be challenged, and well, I have been!

Another great thing that happened today was Yarn Club. Kelly has had a yarn club for the last few years with a few of the girls at the school during lunch hour, and even though I don't have nearly the knitting talent that Kelly has, I promised to keep it up. It was a joy to sit and visit with a small group, watching them knit and helping them cast on. I'll look forward to Thursdays with these girls!

Comments

  1. Way to knit it up! That was my life saving activity on Wednesdays!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know that you are having an "up and down" time but I also know that the struggles you are facing are going to make you an even better teacher! It is so good for us to step out of our comfort zone so that we grow as learners and become even better at what we love to do! I am so proud of you!!! And who knew that learning to knit those few short years ago would be a tool you would need for this swap...God is so funny! Love you friend!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Second Day of School

Good-byes

A Letter to My Family and Friends