Sunday Adventure

Several people had suggested to me before my arrival to become members of the National Trust and British Heritage.  These were wonderful suggestions, and I'm thankful for them!  Both of these organizations are national ones which work to preserve different estates, gardens and fine homes.  Once you become a member of these organizations, you do not have to pay to visit any of the places owned by these organizations.  While many of the larger attractions are privately owned, so I still have to pay to visit them, there are a whole lot which are now free for me to enter.  I have a tour book from the British Heritage and from the National Trust, both of which have maps so I can find places to visit that are close to me.

So, when I woke up this Sunday morning, with not too much on my plate, I decided to have a look through the books and find an adventure for the day!  I had already heard of one place I wanted to visit not too far from here, and was thrilled to find that it was a member of the National Trust.  I had come across the name of Ashridge Estate in Little Gaddsden a couple of times when looking up some filming locations.  (I know that all of my travels won't nor should be based on films, but as I am fairly certain the people scouting for filming locations wanted to find the most beautiful places, I decided it is a fair place for me to start.)

So, I set off, not really knowing what to expect.  I drove up into the estate, expecting to see a large home of sorts, only to find that is is basically a national park.  The park has thousands of acres of land to explore, and I was thrilled to see so many people out and enjoying it - families with frisbees and tents set up for the day, little girls pushing baby dolls in strollers and dogs eager to be out and about.

When I was on my own in the Peak Disrict, I did some research on a couple of hikes before I did them, and thought I would be just find on my own.  While, I didn't really get lost, I was unable to follow the directions and so ended up doing backtracking rather than doing a big loop and risk getting really lost or really far from the car.  I must admit that no matter what, I saw some beautiful sites, but for a girl with a really good sense of direction, I must admit that I was quite frustrated.  So, I decided I would try a different "route" this time and purchase a map of walking paths - I know, a truly brilliant and novel idea! :)

The young lady at the Visitor Centre recommended a specific walk/destination for me and so I set off!  As I headed in the direction of my walk, I realized the path split into two.  One path was being taken by most people, and I was choosing the other.  I was so proud of myself, and knew that Robert Frost would be as well.  I knew that I'd be going on a longer hike than most and seeing more beautiful sites than most.  But then... not too far along the path, it took a few turns I wasn't expecting, so I pulled out my trusty map, only to discover that I had oriented myself incorrectly on the path and I was in fact meant to take the that was "more-traveled by."  Oh well, I tried to be a trend setter.

I was determined on this walk, not to get lost, so I decided to turn around and follow the path that I was certain was right, and right it was!  There were lots of people on the path today, of all ages, but the crowds seemed to dwindle the further I went.  I didn't really feel like I did too much of a climb, but there were some great views.


I came upon Beacon Hill, my destination for the day, the end of the ridge walk.  The rolling hills were a great spot for sight-seeing.  I must confess that I looked around for a mangy old boot to grab hold of, hoping that I too could be carried away to the Quidditch World Cup, but alas, I did not find Harry Potter nor the Portkey, although I'm fairly certain these hilltops were where some of those scenes from The Goblet of Fire were filmed.



While sitting at the top of the hill, I noticed on my trusty map that something said "White Lion Landmark."  Of course that caught my attention and I found it very odd.  I didn't really think much of it, until I began walking again, and looked up.  Oh!



The lady whom recommended the walk, said, "and then you'll come back the same way."  But alas, I am my father's daughter, and could not take the same way twice, and plus, I had a map!  So, I found another path that would lead me back to the Visitor Centre (and my car!).  I kept my map close by and set off, quite determined!  Well, we all know the rest of the story - of course I got lost!  I don't know what I'm doing wrong.  Perhaps I'm actually following paths made by sheep and cows rather than the ones made by people, or perhaps I walk past a path because I assumed it was just made by sheep or cows, but I got quite terribly lost.

I'll spare you the rest of the story, you know, about me not seeing other people for quite some time, worrying I was trespassing on private land, so ducking to avoid angry farmers, hearing wild animals, (that I'm certain were much more ferocious than the rabbits I later saw), walking down one lane roads, and of course it started drizzling.  There were truly only a couple of brief moments of panic, because in all honesty, I knew which direction to head, it was just a matter of how to get there.  But with my trusty map, and my map app on my phone, I was able to make my way back to the Visitor Centre, it just took me a little longer than I expected, but hey, I did take the road less traveled by, for sure!

I climbed the 172 steps to the top of a monument, where supposedly on a clear day, you can see to London.  I saw some pretty landscape, but as far as seeing London, well, I did just mention that it was drizzling, right?

I toured the area, via car a little bit more before venturing to find a grocery store on my way home.  I found a Tesco not too far out of my way, and must confess that I thoroughly enjoyed my stop at the grocery store - I must remember not to go when I'm hungry!  I found okra and Bisquik which absolutely made my day, plus some wonderful meat pies!

My last few shopping experiences, I was pleasantly surprised to find one clerk say, "Are you Spanish?" and a different one say, "You have a slight accent."  I was starting to feel really good about myself!  Then, the cashier today, after all I had said was "thank you," said, "Oh, I love your accent!."  I guess I can't cover up my roots too much...  But then again, why would I want to?

I'm so thrilled to feel more and more comfortable driving so that I can continue to have adventures on my own!  Where to next?

Comments

  1. I just adore and admire you. What a fantastic adventure and perseverance! Maybe we should work on some country mapping skills, though. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Second Day of School

Good-byes

A Letter to My Family and Friends