World's Biggest Coffee Morning

At home, stopping for a tea or coffee break sort of sounds like a joke.  Sure, the teachers have breaks, but as they are all at different times, we don't really sit and visit with one another.  Here, the break times are a time for the teachers (and students) to gather, chat and relax for a few minutes.  Don't get me wrong, the teachers here work just as much as we do at home, it is just a different mindset.  Stopping for tea or coffee is part of a daily routine here.

Tomorrow, I'll be participating in the World's Biggest Coffee Morning.  Tomorrow, all across the UK, people will be having coffee breaks, as usual, but with special baked goodies all while raising money for Macmillan Cancer Support.

Parents will be bringing in home made goodies that we can all purchase and enjoy during our extra-long break tomorrow.  Of course I wanted to participate (you know, besides just eating!), so I decided to bake some cookies.  And yes, as I understand it, these are cookies.  It seems that biscuits are often considered more crunchy and cookies are thought of as very American, more chewy and soft.

I chose to bake chocolate-butterscotch cookies using a recipe that I have had from my kid's cook book for probably about twenty years.  While I was in New Zealand, I went to a wonderful cookery store that had all sorts of special spices and flavors.  I purchased two bottles of butterscotch flavoring.  This flavoring was just enough to add a special touch to the cookies - my own little "secret" ingredient.  This past spring, six years after my time in New Zealand, that flavoring ran out.  It's funny how sometimes a song, a book, a movie, or even a recipe can remind you of wonderful memories - so much attached to something so seemingly simple.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Second Day of School

Good-byes

A Letter to My Family and Friends