First Day

Today was my first official day of work, a training day, so only the teachers and staff were there.  The students will begin on Thursday.  I felt very welcomed at the school today and I'm thrilled to be working with such a talented, creative and fun group of people.  I have no doubt that I will learn lots from the others.

It was an information-overload kind of day for me, and as so much of the school terminology is different, I was probably even further behind than some of the other new teachers.  I knew it would be that way though, and thankfully, everyone was incredibly patient with ALL of my questions.  I was so pleased that there seem to be many similarities between my home school and host school.  There were talks of learning targets, the best ways to give feedback, and assessment, all of which are very similar to what Shades Cahaba is working on.  Perfect!  Hopefully I can take some knowledge about these things home with me.

I still have lots to prepare before Thursday, like to figure out exactly what I need to be teaching these kiddos, but I couldn't be happier with the room.  It is a big room with lots of windows, painted bright yellow and there is lots of storage space!  What a treat!  Plus there are five bulletin boards in the classroom, of which, I've really had fun putting up!



I feel so very blessed to have been matched with Kelly, and to have been placed in a fantastic school with very supportive staff members.  I know I'll make mistakes along the way, but they seem to be a very forgiving lot and I am confident they'll help to guide me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Second Day of School

Good-byes

A Letter to My Family and Friends