Birthday Celebrations

Today, I was fortunate enough to partake in the celebrations of two different birthdays.  One of whom is a well-known author and one of whom is a new found friend.

The name Roald Dahl may not ring a bell with you, but I guarantee that you know his stories.  Roald Dahl is a very well-known author, both of children and adult books, but better known for his children's stories.  He is responsible for Matilda, Fantastic Mr. Fox, James and the Giant Peach, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (Willy Wonka) and many more.  He even wrote the screenplay for a James Bond movie, "You Only Live Twice."  His actual birthday is on the 13th of September, but the celebration for his birthday is always on the Sunday before.  The museum, at the home where he wrote his stories, is only about an hour away.  I had actually planned to visit the museum last weekend, when a co-worker told me that the celebration was coming up soon, so I delayed my visit, and I'm so glad I did.

It was Sunday morning, so once again, Nav Man and I set off for an adventure.  I'm so thankful to have him, as the trip was about an hour of driving time, but there were probably 25 turns along the way.  I have mainly been listening to my own CD's and this morning, I decided to have a go at the British radio stations.  The first one I turned it to was talking about the two presidential candidates.  I listened for a bit to hear what they had to say, and agreed with most of the points.  Last week, I spent some time watching speeches from both of the national conventions, trying to make sure that I am an informed citizen, as I will be completing an absentee ballot.  I decided to stay with this particular radio station for a while, and soon they got back to music.  The first song they played was "The Night they Drove Old Dixie Down" by Joan Baez.  I haven't heard that song in years, and it certainly made me pause and listen.

I arrived in Great Missenden, the former home town of Roald Dahl around 11am to find a packed parking lot and lots of people milling around.  The museum was crowded, but I don't think it could account for all of the cars.  I think many people were just out and about enjoying the absolutely glorious day.  (On a side note, I think the weather at home in Alabama was about the same here today.  The only difference was, at home, everyone was saying how cool the air felt and here, everyone was saying how hot it was!)  It was a beautiful little village, complete with small, colorful doors and vines growing up the homes.





The museum is very well done, and an absolutely perfect way to celebrate Roald Dahl and his incredible imagination.  It was very kid-friendly, with hands-on exhibits, bright colors and interactive stations.  I may have been the only adult there not attached to a child, but that has never stopped me before!  They had story-tellers, balloon creatures, face painting, and giant dream-blowers to decorate.  There was even a room full of story-writing ideas such as a place to design and create characters, a story-builder game and a station to create and illustrate a new word!  Everything seemed to match with Roald Dahl's wicked imagination to the tea.



This scale compares you to many of Roald Dahl's characters.  It seems I measure up to "human-sized duck."  I guess it is the webbed toes...
Roald Dahl always wrote in a hut.  This hut, which is in a garden down the road, is still in tact.  This door however was removed from the hut, and the hut you see here was created inside the museum to hold the interior of the hut.

Where he wrote everyday

Some creative ways to get ideas flowing for young writers!

Dream Blowers

His grave in the local parish church had fresh flowers on it, and it was obvious that the village had loved him too.  Next to his grave was a memorial bench with the names of all of his children on it.  Then, carved in the concrete around the benches was a message from some of his characters.  Even the BFG (Big Friendly Giant) had gone to visit the grave.




I made a stop by his gardens before I left, which are only open a few times a year.  It was certainly a lovely setting for a writing hut!

And of course, I had to take in the whole experience by making BFG ears, getting a snack from the Twit Cafe and then a visit to the gift shop.  I must admit that I haven't read all too many of his books.  I wanted to purchase one that I haven't read from his home and I think I chose the perfect one to remember this adventure.



A Fizzlecrumper
(Carbonated-lemonated over vanilla ice cream
with chocolate sprinkles on top!)


Then, it was time to head on to the second celebration of the day, a Sunday afternoon tea at a very posh hotel in the near-by town of Bedford for Gemma's birthday.  We had teas, coffees, and hot chocolates along with finger sandwiches, scones, strawberry tarts, fruit cake, and much, much more!

Today, I'm thankful for the imagination of a great writer who can bring out the kid in all of us and reasons to celebrate with new found friends.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Second Day of School

Good-byes

A Letter to My Family and Friends