White Cliffs of Dover

Yesterday, I got a whole lot of school work done, so I decided today would be a day of play!

This week, Mumford and Sons, one of my favorite bands at the moment released their second album.  What better way to enjoy a new CD than with a car ride?  I headed south this morning to see the ocean and breathe that salty air.  Mumford and Sons did not disappoint with lyrics like: "I'm a hopeless wanderer, I will learn, I will learn to love the sky I wander;" "We will run and scream,You will dance with me, We’ll fulfill our dreams and we’ll be free;" "Keep the earth below my feet, For all my sweat, my blood runs weak, Let me learn from where I have been, Keep my eyes to serve, My hands to learn;" and a remake of "The Boxer" with Paul Simon.  It was a wonderful way to pass the two and a half ours there and back.  Although, the way there was a bit longer as I was so engrossed with the songs, that I didn't stay right, and exited where I shouldn't have.  I ended up driving through some of the outskirts of London which was not at all what I wanted, but I did love driving on the motorway and WAY ahead getting to see a glimpse of the city sky-scrapers!

Nav Man and I also had another slight misunderstanding when I arrived in Dover as he tried to take me directly onto the Ferry that would carry me to France when all I wanted to do was see the cliffs.  Thankfully, I caught it in time to take the exit rather than enter the Ferry lines!

I really should have done more research before just hopping in the car to go and see some cliffs.  Upon my arrival, I first noticed the English Channel (I've been on this island for 6 weeks and today was my first real sight of water!), then the cliff faces then a huge castle overlooking it all!  Who knew there was a castle there? :)

I decided to make the castle my first stop!  I'm so glad I did!  It was incredible!  I must admit that it seems castles are everywhere here, but this is one of the best castles I've ever been to!  Dover Castle was built in the 1180s by Henry II, father of Richard the Lion Hearted, and it is still in amazing shape!  I love climbing the spiral stairs and seeing the stones worn down with so much age and use.  It makes you wonder who else wandered these hallways and climbed these steps.  I think what I loved most about the castle is those things that any kid (or kid at heart) enjoys - climbing the highest tower, going into the below ground secret passage ways and the ability to explore every nook and cranny without restriction.  It was fantastic!

View from the top of the tower

Herman tested out the throne

Part of the wall around the castle

The castle was also very significant for much more recent reasons.  Dover is the closest spot on English soil to France, it is a mere twenty miles across the English Channel to France.  During World War II, Dover became a hub of military activity and it was from here that all of the commands of rescuing soldiers from the French coast came.  There are four miles worth of tunnels in the cliff side where soldiers stayed, and officers even had windows into the cliff front.  There was even an underground hospital.  Dover was heavily damaged during the war too since it was the closest spot for Germans to attack.  I must admit that I felt very ignorant about World War II after leaving the castle.  I forget how much it effected so many around the world, and how many people had fighting right in their own backyards.  I could have spent much longer there, but decided I wanted to make sure I had plenty of time to see what I actually came for - the White Cliffs!

It was a cloudy day, but thankfully the sun came out to play and I must admit, the cliffs were so much more stunning with the sun on them - they truly glistened!  It was a stunning site, and although I have no doubt they are prettier from the water (maybe that's why Nav Man wanted me to board the ferry), they jetted out enough and were so uneven, that they were stunning from up above, too!  The seas crashing down below did not seem very inviting, and apparently just around the bend is one of the most dangerous sand banks in the world.  I asked someone if it was possible to go down to the water, and he said that in the next village over there was access to the water, but you had to be really careful about the times of the tides.  I decided not to brave it today, but perhaps there will be time for that later!









Flying Fish!


The castle in the distance

I walked along the coast to the lighthouse where they were taking full advantage of an extremely blustery day (that often pushed me along my walk) with kites!  There were so many kites of so many different shapes and sizes.  I think my favorite ones were the crabs, that moved just as they do on the land when the wind blew.
It was extremely windy - so I apologize for the sound!

It was a long day of traveling, but the cliffs are certainly closer this year than they will be next year!  Plus, the castle is part of the English Heritage, and the Cliffs part of the National Trust, so the trip only cost me half a tank of petrol (which is not very cheap!), the money for the toll road and the money for the hot chocolate...and two cakes... that I bought!  I'm thrilled I took advantage of the day and looking forward to more road trips - and with Mumford and Sons to keep me company, I could easily travel to every corner of the country! :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Second Day of School

Good-byes

A Letter to My Family and Friends