Emerald, Sapphire and Ruby

If you're like me, you didn't grow up with "house points" unless you read Harry Potter.  When Harry first entered Hogwarts, the magical school of witchcraft and wizardry, a sorting hat was put on his head.  This magical hat somehow read Harry's mind, along with the minds of all of the new pupils and assigned them to a house within the school that made a good fit.  There was Gryffindor, Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw, and the dreaded Slytherin.  The assignments of houses was crucial.  The members of the houses lived together, played on quidditch teams together and worked to earn points that would help their house to win the coveted House Cup.  Points were earned through good work in class, sporting events, etc.

Well, houses are not only in mythical places like Hogwarts, they are at Fulbrook, too!  Today, my precious new year 5's learned what house they were in, the house they would call home for the next four years.  Unfortunately, it was not nearly as magical as a sorting hat that could read personalities, but nonetheless, an exciting time!  The students were thrilled with pride and honored to know their "home."

There are three houses at Fulbrook: Emerald, Sapphire and Ruby.  Pupils earn house points for doing good work, putting forth extra effort and going out of their way to help someone.  Now, I must admit that in my mind (the over-organizing one), when Harry's professors spoke of house points, I always wondered - "How are those tallied?"  "Who is keeping up with those?"  "Since it is magical, if they just speak it, are they added to the total?"  I never really got that answer, and if I am fortunate enough to meet JK Rowling, I'll be sure and ask her.  I do have an answer though for how the points are collected at Fulbrook.  Each student has a card that he/she keeps up with.  When a teacher says, "Well done, that deserves a house point," the student must get the card out for (and sometimes remind) the teacher to sign in.  Once cards are full, they are handed in, tallied, and the pupil receives a new card.  I believe there will also be special tournaments throughout the year where points can be awarded as well.

It's kept safe behind lock and key!
Teachers are also placed into houses and while red is not my favorite color (it's a rivals thing), I'm thrilled to be part of the Ruby House this year, and if I have anything to say about it, we'll be winning the House Cup this year!  I wonder if there will be a quidditch tournament? :)


Comments

  1. To absolutely point out my overt nerdiness, in Harry Potter (at least the films) the tally does indeed change upon speaking it or with a wave of a teacher's wand. You can see this happen instantaneously in one of the films; I think it's the one where Harry is super moody and annoying. We don't have houses, but we do have so many other things at my school that I, too, thought solely belonged in HP!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember seeing it in the film as well, I am fairly certain it is the fifth one with Dolores Umbridge, but I don't ever remember reading it! Don't worry, my overt nerdiss is clearly evident, too! :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Second Day of School

Good-byes

A Letter to My Family and Friends