An Evening with Friends in London

After a busy day of teaching, I boarded a train to London (something I will sorely miss!) to meet up with some friends, some wonderful connections to home.

One of my lovely former kiddos and his family are in London for about a week and a half taking in all sorts of amazing tourist sights. I was thrilled that we have kept in touch and were able to meet up.  When you can't depend on phones for meeting up, you have to plan things a bit more. I absolutely loved setting up the meeting place of "the columns in Covent Gardens where Henry Higgins met Eliza Doolittle."  How fun!

Where Henry Higgins met Eliza Doolittle

We enjoyed pizza and dessert sitting in the piazza near the columns, under canopies during a cold London drizzle watching as a street performer juggled a machete, a chain saw and a ball.  It was a great meal, but more than that, it was a truly perfect catch-up.  Homewood, the school system I am blessed to be a part of back home, is in a small town with a true sense of community.  It was so much fun to hear not only of all of the places they have seen in London, but also to hear of home and all the things that seem so normal.
Felix and I at Covent Gardens
After a great pizza and a divine berry crumble, I walked past Trafalgar Square towards Big Ben where I met some more friends with Homewood ties.  Patrick works in the Central Office of our school district planning professional development for the teachers.  He was one of the first people I met in the school system seven years ago when I went for new teacher training.  He and his wife Sharon have been in London for several days and are now headed to Paris.  It was great to see them, hear of their travels and share about my teaching experiences here.

Patrick, Sharon and I enjoying a catch-up and a pint at a pub!
I know I'll be a bit tired in the morning, but it was absolutely worth it!  It was a truly lovely evening getting to catch up with some familiar faces and a taste of home!

Comments

  1. I am so happy you hooked up with PC and Sharon. Now they are heading to Paris where I can get all up in it! :)
    V

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Round Abouts, One Lane Roads, and Clutches - Oh My!

Good-byes

The Second Day of School