Cherry Fair

A couple of weeks ago, when Charlotte and I were in Olney, we saw signs for the Cherry Fair and we decided that if we had nothing else to do, we should give it a try.  Today turned out to be a lovely day and as we were both in town, we set off to join in the festivities.

It was a lovely country fair where scouts were selling homemade cupcakes and tickets for a rubber duck race; hot dogs were grilling; bouncy castles were constantly full of happy children; artists and small shop owners had goods for sale, and yes, of course, there were cherries for sale, too!


When I looked at the schedule of events, I wanted to make sure to be there for the "Country Dance."  I was thrilled beyond measure though when the dancing started, as it was young children performing these dances, similar to the square dances I learned when I was in 2nd grade.  They did about four different dances, and were really quite good.  I also loved hearing "Ole Susanna, don't you cry for me, cuz I come from Alabama with a banjo on my knee" playing for one of their dances.


The next entertainment was a dog show.  I'm not one for dog shows, as I just like the cute ones that look friendly, not necessarily the ones with the perfect bone structure and breeding papers.  However, this dog show was right up my alley!  The dogs competed in a variety of different events such as: best trick, best treat-catcher, waggiest tale, dog and owner look-alike, and the dog the judge most wanted to take home.  Watching mostly children lead their dogs of all shapes and sizes parade around was a lot of fun!
This dog came in 2nd for his sit, paw, speak and lie down routine.
Waggiest Tale contest
                             
Dog and owner look-alike contest                          

The final event of the day was tug-of-war.  The announcer said that the townspeople would compete with the local rugby club, and as many people who wanted to participate, could jump in and pull the rope.  I was quite surprised when, rather than a crew of burly men to face the rugby team, a herd of children grabbed onto the rope.


VS


What really amazed me though... the kids won both times!  It was a beautiful sunny day, made even more perfect by the company of a great friend and some perfect entertainment!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Round Abouts, One Lane Roads, and Clutches - Oh My!

Good-byes

The Second Day of School