The Dowager Duchess' Garden

When I hear "Dowager Duchess," all that I really think of is Maggie Smith.  I picture that elegant woman, with perfect wit who always knows the proper way to act and the appropriate thing to say.  I had the honor of meeting the Dowager Duchess of Bedfordshire last weekend.  Angela, who has been so very good to me this year, invited me to attend the Dowager Duchess' Garden opening, an event that only happens once a year.  The Dowager Duchess lived in Woburn Abbey, a place I've thoroughly enjoyed being so close to this year, until her husband passed away and her son became the Duke.  She now lives in a beautiful home, just down the road from the Abbey in Woburn Village.  Her home is hidden behind a huge brick wall and it is absolutely amazing how well the wall disguises the grand estate that appears just like any other home along the high street of the little village.


Her garden is idyllic.  It reminds me of the secret garden: passing through an opening in a wall one comes upon an untouched world with hidden treasures scattered about.  I wasn't sure exactly what to expect, but I pictured more pristine flower beds with roses and herbs growing in their particular places.  Instead, it was much more of a beautifully landscaped natural garden with trees and benches scattered about.  Jane Austen's characters would have found plenty of spaces to wander the grounds and places to sit while read long letters.


The lawn behind her home is a great expanse with pockets of planned gardens, small ponds and flowering trees.  At the back of the garden there is a little hut perfect for games of cards or afternoon tea.  Through this little hut is a doorway that opens up to a large pond with flowering rhododendrons and unique benches.

The view from the back of the house - you can just see the little hut which opens up to the rest of the garden.





A bug hotel



After touring the gardens, Angela and I got to speak to the Dowager Duchess, who stood just inside her home as to keep dry from the drizzle that captured most the afternoon.  She spoke so elegantly, holding her chin high and speaking with pride of her gardens and the Abbey.  It was quite the treat!  How many of us can say we've met a Dowager Duchess?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Round Abouts, One Lane Roads, and Clutches - Oh My!

Good-byes

The Second Day of School